Forums  

Go Back   Forums > ISM Discussion Area > Credentials Discussions

Old 01-27-2012, 07:51 PM
squeekerbeee

Default Experience in lieu of 4 Year Degree

Our company is considering accepting experience in lieu of a four year degree for Buyer, Senior Buyer, Commodity Manager and Strategic Sourcing Manager. How many years of experience will your company accept?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 PM
kempr

Default Robert A. Kemp, Ph.D., CPSM, C.P.M.

The company might substitute broken glass for scrambled eggs at breakfast, but it won't be the same in any way! Similarly, four years of experience can never really equal a four-year degree! Education opportunities such as four-year degrees are available everywhere. Albeit, some are considered better than others, even so we all have the opportunity to earn the required education from accredited sources and your managers should stop toying with substitute products and support the real thing--formal education. From 1956 to 1966, I earned my two undergraduate degrees in night school while commanding the troops in the field on active duty in the US Army . I studied in Germany, the US twice, Korea and Turkey. It took ten years and many late nights, but I have Bachelor degrees from the University of Maryland and George Washington University with transfer work from the University of North Carolina and North Carolina State University. Later the Army sent me to Arizona State University to do my Master's Degree. I retired from the US Army in 1973 to re-enroll at Arizona State University to do my Ph.D. in the College of Business. My fields of study were International Business, Management and Marketing. I completed the Ph.D. in 1979. I know that education, hard work and official travel can all be done at the same time. I recommend that your company stop looking for substitutes and go for the real thing--real education at a real college or university! Good Luck! Robert A. Kemp, Professor Emeritus, Management
Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 PM
ourflat

Thumbs up

#2 for Kempr's comments...
Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
annremus

Default Our company is considering accepting experience in lieu of a four year degree for Buy

squeekerbeee / Robert A. Kemp, Ph.D., CPSM, C.P.M.
Response
I am just looking at this previous post from 1/2012. I wondered how this turned out for your company. I also would like to ask Robert A Kemp, what your thoughts are on the Associate's program for Supply Chain. I am currently working on my Associates degree, with plans of pursuing my Bachelors. I would like to know if it would be hard to obtain an internship, while pursuing my Bachelors in this field.

Tags
degree, experience