|In This Issue ...
- July Non-Manufacturing ISM Report On Business®: NMI™ at 52.6% — Read more.
- Latest JPMorgan Global PMI: Global Report on Manufacturing — Read more.
- Feature Article: Conducting an Internal Audit — On Yourself — Read more.
- August 7 Web Seminar: "Maximize the Strategic Value of Supplier Networks" — Read more.
- Institute for Supply Management™ (ISM) Unveils New Website" — Read more.
- It's Easy to Subscribe to the Just in ETime Newsletter — Read more.
- Term of the Day — Read more.
- Contact Us — Read more.
|July Non-Manufacturing ISM Report On Business®: NMI™ at 52.6%
Economic activity in the non-manufacturing sector grew in July for the 31st consecutive month, say the nation's purchasing and supply executives in the latest Non-Manufacturing ISM Report On Business®.
The report was issued today by Anthony Nieves, C.P.M., CFPM, chair of the Institute for Supply Management™ Non-Manufacturing Business Survey Committee. "The NMI registered 52.6 percent in July, 0.5 percentage point higher than the 52.1 percent registered in June. This indicates continued growth this month at a slighter faster rate in the non-manufacturing sector. The Non-Manufacturing Business Activity Index registered 57.2 percent, which is 5.5 percentage points higher than the 51.7 percent reported in June, reflecting growth for the 36th consecutive month. The New Orders Index increased by 1 percentage point to 54.3 percent. The Employment Index decreased by 3 percentage points to 49.3 percent, indicating contraction in employment for the first time since December 2011. The Prices Index increased 6 percentage points to 54.9 percent, indicating higher month-over-month prices when compared to June. According to the NMI, 11 non-manufacturing industries reported growth in July. Respondents' comments are mixed and vary by industry and company."
Read the entire Non-Manufacturing ISM Report On Business® release.
Back to Top
|Latest JPMorgan Global PMI: Global Report on Manufacturing
Global Manufacturing Downturn Gathers Pace in July
The global manufacturing sector slid further into contraction territory at the start of Q3 2012. At 48.4 in July, the JPMorgan Global Manufacturing PMI™ — a composite index produced by JPMorgan and Markit in association with ISM and IFPSM — posted its lowest level since June 2009.
The PMI remained below the neutral 50.0 mark for the second straight month, to signal back-to-back contractions for the first time since mid-2009. Europe remained the main source of weakness during July, while the performances of the US, Brazil and much of Asia were only sluggish at best.
Read the complete JPMorgan release.
Back to Top
|Feature Article: Conducting an Internal Audit — On Yourself
Like most supply chain professionals, you probably cringe when you hear: "Internal Audit will be reviewing your procedures." You may think, Why bother? Don't they understand I'm here to save the company money and do the right thing? It's those mavericks I try to corral who should be audited. This is just a waste of time.
But, is it?
By design, an internal audit identifies weaknesses and strengthens positions. When it's over, it rarely ends as we imagine. In fact, we often emerge in a better position than we were in before.
Aiming the magnifying glass inward isn't easy, but it is necessary if you want to advance your career. Here are five questions to ask yourself (and answer) honestly.
Read this eSide Supply Management article in its entirety.
Back to Top
|August 7 Web Seminar: "Maximize the Strategic Value of Supplier Networks"
Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Price: No cost
Length: 60 minutes
Format: Streaming only
Time: 2 p.m.-3 p.m. — U.S. Eastern
1 p.m.-2 p.m. — U.S. Central
12 p.m.-1 p.m. — U.S. Mountain
11 a.m.-12 p.m. — US Pacific
6 p.m.-7 p.m. — GMT
Doing business on supplier networks is helping companies around the world achieve 31 percent increases in sales opportunities — that's huge! And, it's just one of the insights Aberdeen Group Analyst Constantine Limberakis will share in this August 7 web seminar.
This is a rare opportunity to interact with Limberakis, an industry expert who knows supplier networks inside and out. He'll share proven, effective steps to help you maximize the use of supplier networks, so you can:
- Supercharge supplier enablement and collaboration
- Automate P2P-based transactions
- Increase market and sales opportunities
Download the related Aberdeen report, Supplier Networks v2.0 : A Look at Commerce in the Cloud. Sign up for the web seminar on the ISM website.
- Constantine Limberakis
- John Lark
Director, Solutions Marketing
Back to Top
|Institute for Supply Management™ (ISM) Unveils New Website
Visitors to the Institute for Supply Management™ (ISM) website are enjoying an attractive new look and extensive functional enhancements, thanks to an ambitious revamp, which debuted July 19, 2012. As part of the user-centered website redesign, ISM members and other users were asked how they wanted to find and search for information and content.
ISM's website has long offered public and members-only content in the form of articles, educational courses, conference proceedings, research, products and news. Improvements and new features include:
- Easier way to find content — Through the blue boxes across the top of every page, individuals can either click on the main topic heading, or click on anything that appears on the second menu. Once on that section's main page, visitors will see more options on the right side of the page.
- Significantly improved search capabilities throughout the site — Either use the blue box at the top right of every page, or link directly to search.
- Improved site map section — Accessible via the link at the top right of the page. This provides a full menu of all the main navigation items throughout the site.
The redeployed site is adaptable to desktop computer as well as tablet and smartphone devices.
Back to Top
|It's Easy to Subscribe to the Just in ETime Newsletter Newsletter
To receive Just in ETime:
- First, log into the ISM website using your username and password.
- If you have never created a profile/account on the ISM website, click "create an account" in the upper right-hand corner of the ISM Home Page.
- If you do have an account, enter your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the ISM Home Page.
- Under the "Membership" tab, select the "My Account."
- Select "Manage Newsletters."
- Finally, select Just in ETime from the list of available newsletters and click the "Update Subscription" button at the bottom of the page.
If you have any questions or encounter any problems, please contact RaeAnn Slaybaugh.
Back to Top
|Term of the Day
Today's ISM Term of the Day is: FOREIGN FREIGHT FORWARDER.
Definition: A party that arranges for export and import movement of goods for shippers and consignees (distinct from domestic freight forwarders that take on different obligations).
A different Term of the Day is posted on the ISM Home Page each day — seven days a week. The Term of the Day is taken from the ISM Glossary of Key Supply Management Terms.
ISM members can access the online Members Only Glossary which includes terms from the private, public, and various industry sectors, and from a wide variety of sources. The Glossary can be browsed alphabetically, or searched by keyword.
Access the online Glossary.
If you are not a member but would like membership information, visit the ISM website.
Back to Top