January 2013, Vol. 25, No. 1
for the volunteer leadership
March Is Supply Management Month
March is less than three months away, and that means it's time to start planning for Supply Management Month. Keep records from affiliate brainstorming sessions and ask former affiliate officers and committee members for tips on past successes or activities that could be improved or transformed by a fresh look and fresh approach from your 2013 volunteers.
Supply Management Month activities can be customized to fit your affiliate resources and member interests. Log on to the Affiliate Support area of the ISM website and select Supply Management Month Information. You'll find a news release template, time lines and special event ideas. You can also download Supply Management Month 2013 art files in several file formats.
Hispanic and Latino Supply Management Conference
¡Solución! Leverage your heritage as a business solution by attending the 6th Annual ISM Hispanic and Latino Supply Management Summit on April 30, 2013 in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Update your skills in global sourcing, learn about the Latin American market and find out how your heritage differentiates you from the competition. Don't miss this opportunity to network with top Hispanic and Latino supply chain executives.
The Hispanic and Latino Summit is included in your Annual Conference registration fee. If you only want to attend the Hispanic and Latino Summit, the registration fee is US$299 for both members or nonmembers.
Hospitality Suites for the 98th Annual International Supply Management Conference and Educational Exhibit
It's time to reserve hospitality suites for the 98th Annual International Supply Management Conference and Educational Exhibit, April 28-May 1, 2013 in Dallas/Ft. Worth.
For hospitality suite and catering information at Gaylord Texan Resort & Conference Center, please contact Rhonda L. Drennan, convention catering manager, at Rdrennan@gaylordhotels.com.
Call early for the suite of your choice!
ISM Hospitality Suite Policy
Hospitality suites are to have a business emphasis as opposed to social in order to stay within the educational purpose of the International Supply Management Conference of the Institute for Supply Management™. Hours of operation should not conflict with other conference activities.
ISM has no desire to discourage informal get-togethers during periods of time when there are no scheduled Conference events. While it may be difficult to discern the exact difference between business and socially oriented suites, or informal get-togethers, it is intended that such activities not leave the association open to criticism. Ethical considerations are and remain of prime concern to the Institute for Supply Management™.
March 2013 Semiannual Dues Billing Time Line
ISM Customer Service will send an email instructing you how to pull a current list of your regular members on record with ISM. The ISM Membership Dues Roster must be updated online by February 15, 2013. The rosters will be processed, and invoices will be e-mailed to the affiliate mail designate, affiliate treasurer and the affiliate executive secretary that ISM has on file.
All communications will be by email and your roster will be available online in a "live" document. You will have current information to reconcile against, making dues billing updates accurate and timely.
Please carefully update the ISM Membership Dues Roster so the resulting invoice is accurate. Once the invoice is generated, the amount cannot be adjusted.
We appreciate your cooperation.
|January 14||ISM Customer Service emails instructions to the affiliate leadership. Review your roster and make appropriate additions and deletions.|
|February 15||All changes/modifications must be completed online.|
|March 8||ISM emails affiliate leadership the final Semiannual Dues invoices reflecting the updates you submitted.|
In the Latest Edition of eSide Supply Management: Outsourcing Strategy, Contract Selection and Intuition's Role in Supplier Selection
The latest edition of eSide Supply Management, ISM's bimonthly e-publication for up-and-coming supply management professionals — and exclusive member benefit — is now online.
Inside the November/December 2012 edition, you'll find these articles:
- Five Rules — and 10 Steps — to a Healthy Outsource Agreement — A flexible and nuanced outsourcing strategy follows five rules, each with its associated steps.
- Pick a Contract! (Not Just Any Contract) — Matching the appropriate contract form with the strategic importance of the transaction can save your procurement organization time and resources.
- What Role Can Intuition Play in Supplier Selection? — "Trusting your gut" might just complement what your brain is telling you when it comes to effective supplier selection decisions.
- Career ROI: Advice From the C-Suite — For one high-level procurement executive, a list of 10 "career commandments" passed along by his mentor has proven instrumental in his professional advancement.
- Laying a (Green) Foundation — Tenets and takeaways from Intel's Blue Guide to Being Green can help any company take sustainability value ideas from concept to results.
- CPSM® and CSM™ Update: 3 Questions, 3 Answers — In every edition, eSide offers three sample questions — and answers — from the CPSM® and CSM™ Diagnostic Practice Exam to help you prepare to pursue your CPSM® or CSM™ certification.
- Talent Management for Tomorrow — A recent The Conference Board report contends that talent management success in the near-term depends on the ability to "see around the corner" to meet strategic business needs.
- Business Etiquette Tips: The Netherlands — In this edition, our business-etiquette spotlight is on the Netherlands — a country noted for its cultural emphasis on egalitarianism, individuality, consensus and direct communication.
To access this edition, read past ones or sign up to receive eSide by email, visit the ISM website at www.ism.ws and select Publications & News, then e-Newsletters, and then eSide Supply Management.
We are always looking for bright ideas from affiliates, Groups and Forums to feature in NewsLine. If you have an idea that you would like to share, please contact Linda Thomas in ISM Affiliate Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.