Table of Contents
Electronic Commerce Today
Elements of electronic commerce, from simple e-mail to Web browsing to sophisticated data encryption, are finding their ways into today's business environment. While not all organizations have joined the electronic commerce revolution, all organizations have been touched by it. And it's just the beginning.
Electronic Commerce Tools
Intranets, extranets, intelligent agents, electronic catalogs, and other tools play different roles in electronic commerce — an organization may need one, all, or a combination of these tools.
As purchasers look more and more to technology to improve their processes and allow them to concentrate on more strategic activities, a word of caution is in order: The legal system has some catching up to do with regard to electronic contracts.
Although the term "bid" does have a specific meaning in purchasing, it's most frequently used in the colloquial to collectively refer to purchasing's solicitation process. It is in that vernacular sense that the term is being used here.
Brian Caffrey is the founder and president of Solutions Consulting Group, a Jackson Heights, New York-based management consulting firm specializing in electronic commerce and in the reengineering and continuous improvement of supply chain management processes. Mr. Caffrey has over 20 years of experience in purchasing and supply management in various purchasing, industry, distribution, logistics, and materials-management positions. He serves on the Board of Directors for NAPM—New York, Inc.
Dan A. Steggell, C.P.M., A.P.P., CPIM
Dan Steggell is an electronic business process specialist for GTE Supply in Irving, Texas, where he is responsible for streamlining the procurement processes. During the last five years, he has managed GTE's EDI project team and the electronic commerce group.
Richard G. Weissman, C.P.M.
Richard Weissman is a commodity manager for Varian Ion Implant Systems in Gloucester, Massachusetts. In addition to his supply management responsibilities, Mr. Weissman is an instructor for the University of Massachusetts, Northeastern University, and Merrimack College, teaching classes in purchasing and supply management. During his 20-year materials management career, Mr. Weissman has held professional positions with Eaton Corporation, Atronix Incorporated, Ferrofluidics Corporation, and L. L. Rowe Company.
- InfoWorld, October 1997, "Extranet Offerings"
- Information Week, September 1997, "Automotive Extranet Set for Test Drive"
- Inter@ctive Week, June-August 1997, "Intranets: Applying Internet Technologies inside the Organization"
- Inter@ctive Week, October 1997, "Extranets: Business-to-Business Commerce"
- Internet Week, October 1997, "Getting SET"
- Internet World, August 1997, "The Extranet Team Play"
- Netguide, August 1997, "Extranets: Stretching the Net to Boost Efficiency"
- Purchasing Today®, October 1997, "To Intranet or Not to Intranet?"
- Purchasing Today®, June 1997, "Risky Business?"
- The Mining Company, http://purchasing.miningco.com/library/weekly
FOR FURTHER READING
- NAPM InfoEdge, February 1997, "Understanding Electronic Commerce"
- NAPM's Web site: http://www.ism.ws. The "Articles" section, located under Members Only, contains a searchable database of articles.
- Purchasing Today®, June 1997, "Becoming an E-Commerce Champion," "Keyboard Kommerce," "Risky Business?" "'Net Specs," and "My Cyber Diary"
- Purchasing Today®, January 1997, "High-Tech Contact," "Help - I'm Drowning in Data!", "The Road to Technological Success," and "Moving Toward Computer Integration"
- Purchasing Today®, August 1996, "The Intranet: Your Own Companywide Web"
- Purchasing Today®, April 1996, "'Net Profits," "E-Commerce Explodes," and "How Safe is Cyberspace?"
- Software Technology Guide, supplement to Purchasing Today®, November 1997
Back to Top