Table of Contents
Evaluating the Purchasing Process
The search for one solution to all management problems is both deceptive and a waste of resources. One tendency is to follow the latest trend without really understanding its worth or implications. For example, two popular trends of the last decade were total quality management (TQM) and reengineering.
Improving the Purchasing Process
A major consideration in assessing process performance is the fact that the output of the process is the best gauge of whether or not it is working well. Since the objective of the process is to transform inputs into outputs desired by the customer, it is the customer who ultimately decides upon the value of the entire process.
John M. McKeller, D.B.A., C.P.M.
John McKeller is director of the NAPM Advanced Technologies Center (ATC), a new program created to underwrite the design, development, and distribution of interactive computer-based learning products and Electronic Performance Support Systems. Previously, Dr. McKeller served concurrent appointments as NAPM Director of Education and Assistant Professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Business, Management Institute. Before that he was an adjunct faculty member with the University of San Diego and the University of California at San Diego Business Extension. John McKeller worked in industry prior to entering the academic field. He has written articles for several national publications and academic journals, as well as the "Purchasing" chapter in the latest edition of The APICS Handbook. Dr. McKeller continues to teach supply management-related topics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, in Arizona State University's Graduate Certificate Program, and in various NAPM seminars conducted around the country.
- Business Week, May 18, 1994, "The Information Revolution: The New Face of Business"
- The Economist, January 14, 1995, "The Straining of Quality"
- First Worldwide Research Symposium Proceedings, Tempe, AZ, March 1995, "Pro-activity, Value Engineering, and Strategic Procurement Management: An Entrepreneurial and Contractual Model of the Firm"
- First Worldwide Research Symposium Proceedings, Tempe, AZ, March 1995, "Purchasing for Lean Production: The New Strategic Agenda"
- First Worldwide Research Symposium Proceedings, Tempe, AZ, March 1995, "Transaction Costs, Control, and Commitment in Subcontracting Relations"
- Fortune, Autumn 1993, "Making High Tech Work for You"
- Fortune, Autumn 1993, "The Tough New Consumer"
- Hammer, Michael and Champy, James. Reengineering the Corporation. Harper Business, 1993
- International Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, Spring 1994, "Moving Toward Value-Based Purchasing"
- International Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management, Summer 1994, "The Relative Importance of Supplier Selection Criteria: A Review and Update"
- Lowenthal, Jeffrey N. Reengineering the Organization. ASQC Press, 1994
- NAPM 80th Annual International Conference Proceedings, May 1995, "Moving Beyond Purchasing: A More Comprehensive Approach To Business"
- NAPM 80th Annual International Purchasing Conference Proceedings, May 1995, "The Purchasing Professional - Future Culture/Future Role"
- NAPM Insights, October 1993, "The 'How to' of Outsourcing Contracts"
- NAPM Insights, February 1994, "Technology Takes a Bite Out of Cycle Time"
- NAPM Insights, June 1994, "A Team-Based Approach to Supplier Evaluations"
- NAPM Insights, July 1994, "Reengineering the Purchasing Function"
- NAPM Insights, August 1994, "Efficient Processes For Low-Value Purchases and Payables"
- NAPM Insights, August 1994, "The Procurement Card: Small Dollar Purchases"
- NAPM Insights, September 1994, "Rethinking Supplier Relationships"
- NAPM Insights, October 1994, "Purchasers Give Credit to Cards"
- NAPM Insights, October 1994, "Using Technology Appropriately in Purchasing"
- NAPM Insights, December 1994, "Eliminating Unnecessary Activities"
- Purchasing, April 21, 1994, "Today's Measurements Just Don't Make It"
- Roberts, Lon. Process Reengineering. ASQC Press, 1994
FOR FURTHER READING
- NAPM Insights, January 1994, "Improving Procedures by Asking Simple Questions"
- NAPM Insights, May 1994, "Executive Purchasing Roundtable Strategizes for Purchasing's Future"
- NAPM Insights, May 1994, "Reengineering for Purchasing Performance"
- NAPM Insights, May 1995, "Transforming the Purchasing Organization - Beyond Reengineering"
- NAPM Insights, February 1995, "Beyond Reengineering - Developing the Extended Enterprise"
Back to Top