|In This Issue ...
- This Month in Inside Supply Management® Magazine — Read more.
- Introducing ... Certified in Supply Management™ (CSM™)" — Read more.
- November 29 Web Seminar: "Leveraging Procurement Technology to Meet Business Objectives" — Read more.
- Feature Article: Change Agents Wanted — Read more.
- Twelfth Annual ISM Services Conference Is Just Two Weeks Away! — Read more.
- Calendar of Events for December — Read more.
- Term of the Day — Read more.
- It's Easy to Subscribe to the Just in ETime Newsletter — Read more.
- Contact Us — Read more.
|This Month in Inside Supply Management® Magazine
Have you checked out the latest issue of Inside Supply Management® magazine? The October/November 2011 issue is full of useful information, including the following articles:
Access the complete October/November 2011 issue of Inside Supply Management® online.
Back to Top
|Introducing ... Certified in Supply Management™ (CSM™)
Big opportunities are available for people who want to build their careers and professional influence in supply management and procurement. Yesterday, Institute for Supply Management™ (ISM) unveils the Certified in Supply Management™ (CSM™).This new certification option allows a broad range of practitioners to demonstrate knowledge and expertise in supply management, regardless of whether they have a degree. Effective November 15, 2011, eligible candidates can register through ISM for the CSM™ Exam, and will have one year from the date they register to schedule their computer-based exam.
"The debut of the CSM™ is a defining event for ISM because it furthers our mission to lead and serve supply management," says ISM CEO Paul Novak, CPSM, C.P.M., A.P.P., MCIPS. "Individuals and teams worldwide have expanded opportunities to build their professional stature and business credibility."
The new CSM™ joins ISM's globally-recognized Certified Professional in Supply Management® (CPSM®) program to set a common standard of measurement for professionals to demonstrate mastery of supply management knowledge and skills. The CSM™ tests the same body of knowledge as the CPSM®. Eligibility for the CSM™ is dependent on a candidate's work experience and educational background, as well as successfully passing the required exam(s).
For more information on the CSM™ program, CSM™ Exam specifications, and registration link (available November 15, 2011), visit ISM online. Opportunities for on-site CSM™ Exam testing and review are also available.
Back to Top
|November 29 Web Seminar: "Leveraging Procurement Technology to Meet Business Objectives"
Date: Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Time: 2 p.m. EST/11 a.m. PST
Format: Streaming Only
Price: No Cost
Length: 60 Minutes
Over the years, procurement has evolved from a transactional function to one with strategic importance. Efficient procurement processes can help align purchasing decisions with corporate strategy, create new competitive advantages through identification of new sources of supply and well-negotiated contracts, and streamline overall business processes, thus increasing the value obtained from investments.
Join our experts for this web seminar as they discuss how procurement technology is being leveraged to drive procurement insight and enable the value achieved, not just to the organization's buying process, but to the business strategy as a whole.
- How to leverage technology to improve procurement performance in terms of visibility, reduced risk and collaboration
- Streamlining business processes by driving compliance and eliminating long cycle times
- Creating new competitive advantages through identification of new sources of supply and well-negotiated contracts
- Driving increase in the bottom line — beyond just cost savings — by identifying opportunities and creating seamless sync between procurement processes.
- Stephen G. Mack
Director, Procurement Services
University of Missouri System
- James Thomas
Strategic Marketing Manager
- John Yuva
Inside Supply Management®
Institute for Supply Management™
Back to Top
|Feature Article: Change Agents Wanted
When corporate mergers and acquisitions (M&As) happen, some employees — especially top talent — choose to jump ship before they understand the opportunities the new organization can offer. To combat a mass exodus of talent in the wake of change, a recent Towers Watson report, Using the Power of Managers In an M&A, recommends honing an often overlooked tool: front-line managers.
The findings are based on the input of more than 700 managers worldwide. Overall, these managers believe their roles are insufficiently defined or focused to meet employees' needs in the event of an M&A.
Read the full article on the eSide Supply Management website.
Back to Top
|Twelfth Annual ISM Services Conference Is Just Two Weeks Away!
Register now to attend the 12th Annual ISM Services Conference, December 1-2, 2011 at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort in Phoenix. Presented by Institute for Supply Management™ (ISM), this program is designed for supply management professionals responsible for not only acquiring services but also for developing the supply chain strategies that support the goals and objectives that move the organization forward.
The one-and-a-half-day program features some of the best leaders in the profession, covering everything in services from green initiatives to nontraditional services spend. Highlights include:
- Nontraditional Services Purchasing
- Disaster Response Supply Management
- Marketing Procurement
- Corporate Mobility Spend
- Software Licensing
- Negotiation Best Practices for Services
- Temporary Labor Sourcing
- Supplier Relationship Categories
- Diversity and Green Initiatives
Registration fee is US$845 for ISM members and US$1,045 for nonmembers. To register online to attend the conference, visit the ISM website. Attendees can earn 10.25 Continuing Education Hours (CEHs).
All sessions are at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort, 11111 N. 7th St., Phoenix, AZ 85020. Book your hotel room online. or call +1 602/866-7500. Book online to receive the special room rate of US$139 single/double with in-room high-speed Internet and resort fee included. The cutoff date for the ISM room rate is November 7, 2011, or until room block is sold out.
You can save US$200 when you register for both the Services Conference and this year's pre-conference seminar, "Strategic Services Procurement: Applying Strategic Sourcing Principles to the Procurement of Services", November 29-30, 2011 in Phoenix.
Back to Top
|Calendar of Events for December
Release of the Manufacturing Report On Business®
Deadline to Apply for ISM Volunteer Positions
CSSL Executive Forum — Financial Supply Chains: Supply's Critical Role
Six Sigma: A Process Improvement Tool for Supply Management Professionals
12th Annual ISM Services Conference
Release of the Non-Manufacturing Report On Business®
Legal Aspects of Supply Management: The Basics You Need to Succeed
Las Vegas, NV
ISM's Semiannual Economic Forecast
Contracting for Purchasing and Supply Management: Beyond the Basics
Las Vegas, NV
Contracting Basics: What All the Ts and Cs Mean
Effective Strategies: Building Purchasing Value for Your Organization
ISM Headquarters Closed — Year-end Close
ISM's Annual Conference Early Bird Discount Ends
Back to Top
|Term of the Day
Today's ISM Term of the Day is: UNITED NATIONS STANDARD PRODUCT AND SERVICES CLASSIFICATION CODE (UN/SPSC).
Definition: An eight-digit commodity code standard for classifying products and services for worldwide use.
A different Term of the Day is posted on the ISM Home Page each day — seven days a week. The Term of the Day is taken from the ISM Glossary of Key Supply Management Terms.
ISM members can access the online Members Only Glossary which includes terms from the private, public, and various industry sectors, and from a wide variety of sources. The Glossary can be browsed alphabetically, or searched by keyword.
Access the online Glossary.
If you are not a member but would like membership information, visit the ISM website.
Back to Top
|It's Easy to Subscribe to the Just in ETime Newsletter
To receive Just in ETime:
- First, log into the ISM website using your username and password.
- If you have never created a profile/account on the ISM website — or if you don't remember if you have an account — click "Log In" in the upper right-hand corner of the ISM Home Page.
- Under "Log In," you will find a "Did you forget your username and password?" link. Click that link, and enter your e-mail address. (If you have more than one e-mail address, try each one.)
- If you do have an account, the ISM system will e-mail you your username and password.
- If, however, the system tells you the e-mail address was not found in our records, you will want to create a new account. Do this by clicking the "My Account" tab in the upper right-hand corner of the ISM website, followed by "Create New Account."
- Once you've created your new account, proceed to the "Manage Newsletters" link, which is also found under the "My Account" tab.
- Finally, select Just in ETime from the list of available newsletters and click the "Update Subscription" button at the bottom of the page.
If you have any questions or encounter any problems, please contact RaeAnn Slaybaugh.
Back to Top