|In This Issue ...
- This Month in Inside Supply Management® Magazine — Read more.
- Free ISM/Emptoris Webinar Today: Bring More Control to Your Services Spend Management — Read more.
- Final Month to Enter Richter Awards Competition — Read more.
- 10th Annual ISM Services Conference — Services Procurement Strategies in Today's Tough Economy — Read more.
- Calendar of Events for September — Read more.
- Term of the Day — Read more.
- It's Easy to Subscribe to the Just in ETime Newsletter — Read more.
- Contact Us — Read more.
|This Month in Inside Supply Management® Magazine
Have you checked out the latest issue of Inside Supply Management magazine? The August 2009 issue is full of useful information, including the following articles:
- Invoice-to-Pay: Matching Collaboration and Compliance: Supply management professionals can attain significant cost savings from their manual accounts payable process.
- Four-Star Supply Chain Management: Richard Oakes' supply management team at Gaylord Hotels excels at procuring specialized items for some of the most elaborate, meeting-friendly hotels in the United States.
- Make Sense of Carbon Offsetting: Renewable energy certificates and carbon credits are changing the environmental game, but these tools require diligent business analysis by supply management to choose the correct solution.
- Exodus From Metropolis: If you want to become a big fish in a small pond, consider the opportunities that a small-town career has to offer.
To access the complete August 2009 issue of Inside Supply Management® magazine, click here.
Back to Top
|Free ISM/Emptoris Webinar Today: Bring More Control to Your Services Spend Management
Time: 1 p.m. EDT/10 a.m. PT
Topic: Services Spend Management: Effectively Managing Indirect Services and Contingent Labor Across the Enterprise
Price: No cost
Representing more than 50 percent of an organization's annual spend, services spend management remains a complex challenge for many companies. Please join us for a discussion around trends in the services procurement marketplace and the benefits of employing a services management solution.
Today's Web seminar will feature Subs Tripathy, Director, Strategic Sourcing, Novartis; Jason Busch, of the spend management blog "Spend Matters"; and Kevin Potts, Vice President of Marketing and Product Management, Emptoris.
During this session, you will learn:
- How a services management solution delivers visibility and control over difficult to manage areas, including the complex contingent labor category
- Trends in services procurement and how to successfully manage the nuances of indirect spend categories
- Best practices to capture savings across a wide variety of services categories, such as contingent labor, IT services and maintenance.
You can still register on the ISM Web site, click here.
Back to Top
|Final Month to Enter Richter Awards Competition
Institute for Supply Management™ (ISM) is accepting entries for the ISM R. Gene Richter Awards for Leadership and Innovation in Supply Management. Deadline for applications via ISM's Web site is September 18, 2009.
The ISM R. Gene Richter Awards for Leadership and Innovation in Supply Management are open to supply management departments of all sizes and geographic locations, both domestic and international. The competition recognizes organizations that raise the bar and bring supply management best practices to the forefront. Entries should address big challenges for which new solutions have had wide organizational and/or supply chain impact.
For the 2010 awards, the project/initiative must either (1) have been completed and/or implemented or (2) have measurable outcomes within the date range of October 1, 2006 through September 30, 2009.
An application fee of $1,000 per organization is required for 2010 award applications. Organizations that submit multiple applications will only be charged this fee once, regardless of the number of applications they submit.
Multiple entries are welcomed in one or more of the following categories: Process, People, Organization/Structure, Technology and Sustainability. The fifth category — Sustainability — is new for the 2010 competition.
In its broadest sense, sustainability includes principles of social responsibility. Examples include: Supply management's role, both internally and externally across practices, products, services and business philosophies; developing measurements and results-reporting capabilities and action plans; implementing continuity contingency plans to manage natural disasters, terrorist actions, and the like.
For full category descriptions and information on how to apply for the 2010 awards, click here.
Richter award recipients will be notified in January 2010 and will be honored at an awards dinner on Sunday, April 25, 2010 at the ISM Annual International Supply Management Conference and Educational Exhibit in San Diego, California. Winning organizations agree to present a Conference session describing their project. Questions regarding the awards may be directed to Terri Tracey, CAE, at 800/888-6276, extension 3071 (or, for callers outside the United States, +1 480/752-6276, extension 3071), or by e-mail.
Back to Top
|10th Annual ISM Services Conference — Services Procurement Strategies in Today's Tough Economy
Date: December 3–4, 2009
Location: Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort, 11111 N. 7th St., Phoenix, AZ 85020
The 10th Annual ISM Services Conference offers lessons learned over the last decade, and real-world accomplishments from some of the world's most visible and successful organizations. During the two-day Conference, the following breakout sessions will be offered:
- Practical Ways to Select and Manage Service Suppliers in a Challenging Economy
- Putting Service Back into Services Procurement!
- Developing an Effective Strategic Procurement Plan
- Developing a Well-Defined Program to Manage Contingent Workers
- Six Sigma Applications in the Indirect Sourcing Process
- Academy Award Performances: Big-Screen Lessons for Supply Chain Professionals
- Reviewing the Contract: What to Look For in the Terms and Conditions
- Outsourcing: When, Why and How to Manage
- High-Quality Service Delivery: Collaboration — The Ultimate KPI
- End-to-End Supplier Management in a Telecom Environment
- A Practical Guide to Agency Compensation Assessment and Benchmarking
- Procurement's Value in the Midst of Mergers and Acquisitions
All sessions are at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort. For reservations, call 602/866-7500. Be sure to mention ISM to receive the special room rate of $169 (single/double). The ISM rate is offered until November 8, 2009. Rooms sell out quickly, so be sure to reserve your room early.
Sign up to receive program information via e-mail online, click here.
Call ISM Customer Service at 800/888-6276, option 8 for more details.
Back to Top
|Calendar of Events for September
Back to Top
|Term of the Day
Today's ISM Term of the Day is: ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER.
Definition: (1) A organization that acquires materials or components for incorporation into another product. The term "OEM parts" refer to spare parts made by the original manufacturer; (2) The term for the broad manufacturer and seller of equipment.
A different Term of the Day is posted on the ISM Home Page (www.ism.ws) each day — seven days a week. The Term of the Day is taken from the ISM Glossary of Key Supply Management Terms.
ISM members can access the online Members Only Glossary which includes terms from the private, public, and various industry sectors, and from a wide variety of sources. The Glossary can be browsed alphabetically, or searched by keyword.
To access the online Glossary, click here.
If you are not a member but would like membership information, click here.
Back to Top
|It's Easy to Subscribe to the Just in ETime Newsletter
The Just in ETime e-mail newsletter delivers ISM- and supply/procurement-related news and updates directly to subscribers' desktops every other week. You'll receive breaking news, such as the ISM Report On Business®, information on upcoming seminars and programs, changes to ISM's certification programs, as well as Web sites of interest to supply/procurement professionals.
It's easy to subscribe to the Just in ETime newsletter: all you need is your e-mail address. Best of all — there's no charge to become a subscriber!
To subscribe to Just in ETime, click here.
Back to Top
Rate and Review this item