|In This Issue ...
- This Month in Inside Supply Management® Magazine — Read more.
- Registration Still Open for the 6th Annual Black Executive Supply Management Summit Sponsored by ISM and Howard University — Read more.
- No-Cost April 7 Webinar: "Enlisting Finance Support to Help Reduce Supply Risk" — Read more.
- ISM and ADR North America Integrate Training and Assessment Program — Read more.
- Minimize Your Training and Travel Spend with ISM's Online Courses — Read more.
- Calendar of Events for April — Read more.
- Term of the Day — Read more.
- It's Easy to Subscribe to the Just in ETime Newsletter — Read more.
- Contact Us — Read more.
|This Month in Inside Supply Management® Magazine
Have you checked out the latest issue of Inside Supply Management® magazine? The March 2009 issue is full of useful information, including the following articles:
- The Human Factor: Organizations are under close scrutiny in a tight economy, and addressing social responsibility challenges can be a powerful opportunity for services industries to rise above the fray.
- China Offers Advancement, Cultural Opportunities: Expatriates from the People's Republic of China can bring back a wealth of knowledge and experience for their organizations to gain a competitive advantage in this dynamic market.
- CPOs' Priority: Manage Risk: The turbulent economic waters of today's business environment call for collaborative supplier relationships and tools to assess your suppliers' financial exposure.
- Better Fuel Supply Management: With fuel prices dropping to the lowest levels in months, now is the time for supply management professionals to re-examine and restructure their fuel supply lines.
To access the complete March 2009 issue of Inside Supply Management® magazine, click here.
Back to Top
|Registration Still Open for the 6th Annual Black Executive Supply Management Summit Sponsored by ISM and Howard University
"Leveraging Supply Management In Our Global Economy"
Doubletree Hotel at the Entrance to Universal Orlando (Orlando, Florida)
This program is presented for executives and managers in supply, with a special track for students enrolled in supply management degree programs. If you have a passion for supply management and value diversity and innovation, this is the program for you to learn, share, mentor and build your network.
We encourage participation as a potential mentor or protégé. Proceeds from the program are used for a scholarship fund to send students to the ISM 94th Annual International Supply Management Conference and Educational Exhibit, May 3-6 in Charlotte, North Carolina.
In principle and in practice, ISM values and seeks a diverse membership, volunteer leadership, and staff. There are no barriers to full participation in the Institute on the basis of ethnic background, gender, creed, age, sexual orientation, national origin or disability.
For complete conference information, schedule, online registration or to download the brochure, click here.
Back to Top
|No-Cost April 7 Webinar: "Enlisting Finance Support to Help Reduce Supply Risk"
Event: "Procurement's New Mandate: Enlisting Finance Support to Help Reduce Supply Risk"
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Time: 2 p.m. EDT/11 a.m. PDT
- Jason Busch
Editor of www.spendmatters.com
- Andrew Jesse
Vice President, Professional Services
Note: This no-cost, streaming-only Web seminar is 60 minutes long.
When it comes to monitoring the financial condition of your supply base in the current downturn, most companies are struggling to keep pace with how fast this environment is evolving. Procurement organizations alone will never be able to solve supply risk by themselves. Rather, they must work closely with finance leaders to mitigate the varied aspects of risk that can impact large portions of the business.
Together, both groups can take action, bringing together the right team to build increased overall spend and supplier visibility, enable better coordination and results, and deploy enabling P2P technology to drive compliance and overall risk reduction.
Additionally, given how fast things are changing, companies foster a false sense of security by monitoring supplier credit ratings or running once per quarter (or once a year) financial analyses on a supply base. Instead, companies must proactively mitigate the impact of supply risk by:
- Looking closely at key supplier behavior and indicators on a more frequent basis
- Automating, monitoring and tracking the overall P2P process
- Keeping current information on up-to-the-minute internal reporting metrics
- Sharing information with key constituents to enable action
Log on for this April 7 Webinar and learn from industry experts how companies can — and are — reducing the odds of all types of supply risk negatively impacting their business.
Back to Top
|ISM and ADR North America Integrate Training and Assessment Program
ISM and ADR North America have combined efforts to create one major force behind training and assessment in procurement and provide organizations with tools to lead them to increased profitability, enhanced staff competence and sustainable cost improvements.
The integration of ISM and ADR assessment and training programs will offer clients a long list of expanded opportunities including:
- A wide range of services, including customized in-company training, and online and blended learning programs
- Assessment and diagnostic tools for supply management skills
- Global reach with multi-lingual instructors
- Professional development on every level from buyers to executives
ADR North America, led by CEO Bill Michels, C.P.M., is a consulting firm that focuses on procurement and has a track record of success when it comes to delivering significant changes in purchasing processes.
"The ISM/ADR alliance will provide the opportunity for many companies to assess and improve their team competency, build custom development programs tailored to their businesses, generate cost and value improvement, strengthen supply management and achieve extraordinary performance from ordinary people," Michels said.
ISM is an international leader in the field of supply management with more than 40,000 members worldwide. ISM CEO Paul Novak, CPSM, C.P.M, A.P.P, is also enthusiastic about the potential for growth and development as these two organizations merge their outstanding training capabilities.
"The ISM/ADR partnership will help both organizations broaden both their training and assessment offerings and will enhance the ability to train in various parts of the world in indigenous languages," he said. "With this partnership, training can be delivered wherever it is requested without moving trainers around the world."
To find out how your organization can take advantage of the ISM/ADR alliance, contact Rene Yates, CPSM, C.P.M., or Toni Caserta at (800)888-6276, extensions 3080 and 3095.
Back to Top
|Minimize Your Training and Travel Spend with ISM's Online Courses
Institute for Supply Management™ (ISM) Knowledge Center courses save your organization time and money. With no time taken away from work and the elimination of travel expenses, they are a green, sustainable resource in a time of training and travel budget cuts.
Global in scope, these courses were developed by experts in supply management. Courses are either self-directed, instructor-led or bundled with groupings of courses that focus on concentrated learning objectives in a specific supply area. Plus, you can earn Continuing Education Hours (CEHs) for every course that you complete. The cost per course is $495 for members and $595 for nonmembers.
Instructor-Led Online Courses for 2009:
Back to Top
|Calendar of Events for April
Back to Top
|Term of the Day
Today's ISM Term of the Day is: FISCAL YEAR.
Definition: The designated time frame used by an organization to provide an accounting of financial activities within a 12-month period.
A different Term of the Day is posted on the ISM Home Page (www.ism.ws) each day — seven days a week. The Term of the Day is taken from the ISM Glossary of Key Supply Management Terms.
ISM members can access the online Members Only Glossary which includes terms from the private, public, and various industry sectors, and from a wide variety of sources. The Glossary can be browsed alphabetically, or searched by keyword.
To access the online Glossary, click here.
If you are not a member but would like membership information, click here.
Back to Top
|It's Easy to Subscribe to the Just in ETime Newsletter
The Just in ETime e-mail newsletter delivers ISM- and supply/procurement-related news and updates directly to subscribers' desktops every other week. You'll receive breaking news, such as the ISM Report On Business®, information on upcoming seminars and programs, changes to ISM's certification programs, as well as Web sites of interest to supply/procurement professionals.
It's easy to subscribe to the Just in ETime newsletter: all you need is your e-mail address. Best of all — there's no charge to become a subscriber!
To subscribe to Just in ETime, click here.
Back to Top