|In This Issue ...
- This Month in the Inside Supply Management® Magazine. Read more.
- In the Latest Edition of eSide Supply Management. Read more.
- Wayne Stutzer, Economic Speaker and Radio Personality, to Present at 9th Annual Services Conference. Read more.
- ISM Marks Sixth Year of Social Responsibility Initiative. Read more.
- Explore Lessons Learned and Real-World Accomplishments at 9th Annual ISM Services Conference December 4-5. Read more.
- Calendar of Events for December. Read more.
- Term of the Day. Read more.
- It's Easy to Subscribe to the Just in ETime Newsletter. Read more.
- Contact Us. Read more.
|This Month in the Inside Supply Management® Magazine
Have you checked out the latest issue of Inside Supply Management® magazine? The November issue is full of useful information, including the following articles:
- Become a Better Customer to Your Suppliers
Advancing supplier relationships is critical in today's economic climate. Best-in-class supply management organizations continue to work collaboratively with their suppliers to improve their relationships.
- The Right People With the Right Skills
With ideas borrowed from supply chain management, IBM develops an integrated process to find resources to fill strategic positions as the company expands worldwide.
- Uncover Savings Opportunities
Spend analysis and optimization are more than one-time events to cut costs; they provide a framework that must be executed on an ongoing basis.
To access the complete November 2008 issue of Inside Supply Management® magazine, click here.
Back to Top
|In the Latest Edition of eSide Supply Management
- Calling a Supplier's Bluff
6 questions to determine how much they need (or don't need) your business
- Doing Business in India
India is a hugely popular sourcing destination for good reason: It represents the world's 12th-largest economy, has the fourth-largest purchasing power and boasted a growth rate of 9.4 percent last year — among the fastest-growing in the world. It is also home to the world's second largest labor force at 516.3 million.
- The CPSM® Goes International
Eduardo Shelley with Oracle de Mexico is the first person outside the United States to earn the coveted qualification.
To access the latest edition of eSide Supply Management, ISM's bimonthly e-publication for up-and-coming supply management professionals, click here.
Back to Top
|Wayne Stutzer, Economic Speaker and Radio Personality, to Present at 9th Annual Services Conference
In recent months, the changing economic climate is on everyone's mind. Whether you watch the news, read the paper or listen to the radio, the future of the economy is at the forefront of discussion.
On December 4, join local financial expert and radio personality Wayne Stutzer at a special one-hour lunch event, "Economic Outlook 2009: The Year Ahead" as Stutzer answers the question: Where does prosperity lie?
During this lunch-hour event, Stutzer will provide a critical overview of the current economic prospects for growth and the future outlook of interest rates. With more than 25 years of educating investors and helping them to achieve their financial goals, Stutzer brings knowledge and insight to a changing economy. He hosts "The Smart Investor" radio show on Arizona's news radio 92.3 KTAR, and his market report, "Stock on Fox," on Channel 10, Phoenix. He is senior vice president and financial consultant, RBC Wealth Management.
Hosted by ISM, this unique session is just one offering of ISM's 9th Annual Services Conference taking place December 4-5, 2008 at the Ritz-Carlton in Phoenix. To attend just the lunch session, the cost is $50. To register, please call ISM Customer Service at 800/888-6276, option 8.
For details on attending the entire conference, designed for supply management professionals in the services sector, click here
Back to Top
|ISM Marks Sixth Year of Social Responsibility Initiative
ISM's mission to lead supply management is the catalyst for its ongoing sustainability and social responsibility initiative and related online resources. Two updated documents are now available for PDF download from ISM's Sustainability and Social Responsibility Web site:
ISM believes the supply management profession is a strategic contributor in the development and implementation of sustainability and social responsibility programs and behavior. The Sustainability and Social Responsibility Web site provides a broad range of references, measurements, tools, information and best practices to help supply management professionals develop proactive sustainability and social responsibility programs.
ISM launched this initiative in earnest more than six years ago with the formation of a Board-appointed Commission, followed by the formation of a Committee that drafted and proposed seven initial principles. From the time the original Principles of Social Responsibility were announced in 2004, nearly 40 organizations have signed on as supporters.
ISM invites organizations to formally lend support through best practices and encouraging the sharing of policies and procedures relating to the principles. Interested organizations may review and complete the "Fostering Sustainability and Social Responsibility" form on the ISM Web site.
Both publications are available to interested individuals, regardless of ISM membership status, click here.
Back to Top
|Explore Lessons Learned and Real-World Accomplishments at 9th Annual ISM Services Conference December 4-5
Improve your global services procurement, add value within your travel management and connect better with suppliers when you attend "Building a Strong Services Procurement Strategy: Leadership, Sourcing and Global Perspectives," presented by Institute for Supply Management™ (ISM). The 9th Annual ISM Services Conference will be held December 4-5, 2008 in Phoenix.
This program is designed for supply management professionals responsible for not only acquiring services, but developing the supply chain strategies that support the goals and objectives of the organization.
With more than 17 speakers, it features top experts from organizations including Allstate Insurance Company, Colgate-Palmolive Company, The Dow Chemical Company, Johnson & Johnson, MeadWestvaco Corporation, Nike, Office Depot and more. General session highlights include:
- Services and Global Sourcing Journey — Hear how Allstate Insurance Company has embarked on a new journey in its sourcing strategy: the expansion to global markets.
- Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) for Indirect Materials — Services
Learn from a sourcing expert at MeadWestvaco Corporation on addressing the challenge of developing an SRM approach in the services space.
- E-Sourcing for Services — Hear from a panel of supply practitioners who use e-sourcing tools to competitively bid services.
- The Hub Factor: Making Connections Count — Learn how to network with anyone, anywhere, in any situation in this highly interactive session.
- Your Personal Leadership Guarantees Indirect Procurement Success — A senior leader from Colgate-Palmolive Company will share real-world examples from Colgate to illustrate how to successfully implement an indirect procurement program.
- Developing Internal Credibility and Adding Value Through Strategic Sourcing — In this program, a top leader from The Dow Chemical Company shares how strategic sourcing not only adds value but also improves internal partner engagement.
Concurrent sessions over the two-day period include:
- Lessons Learned After Five Years of Sourcing in a Services Business
- Effective Global Travel Management
- A New Approach to Global Staffing
- Software Contracting From Legal and Cost Perspectives
- Building the Procurement Superhero
- Selecting Cost-Effective Green Supply Chain Programs for Your Organization
- Developing Internal Credibility and Adding Value Through Strategic Sourcing
Cost is $795 (USD) for ISM members and $995 (USD) for nonmembers. Networking time is built into the schedule, and attendees will also have the opportunity to take breaks to visit the Select Supplier Showcase. All sessions are at The Ritz-Carlton, 2401 E. Camelback Road, Phoenix. Team discounts and pre-conference seminar savings are available online.
For complete conference information, pre-conference offerings and registration information, click here.
Back to Top
|Calendar of Events for December
Release of the ISM Manufacturing Report On Business®
Contracting for Purchasing and Supply Management: Beyond the Basics
Strategic Services Procurement: Applying Strategic Sourcing Principles to the Procurement of Services
CPSM® Train the Trainer: Review Instructor Courseware Program
Release of the ISM Non-Manufacturing Report On Business®
9th Annual ISM Services Conference
Contracting Basics: What All the Ts and Cs Mean
Best Practices in Procurement
Las Vegas, NV
Fundamentals of Purchasing: The Building Blocks of World-Class Professionalism
Release of the ISM Semiannual Economic Forecast
New York, NY
Richter Oversight Committee Meeting
ISM Headquarters Closed — Year-end Close
Back to Top
|Term of the Day
Today's ISM Term of the Day is: INTRANET.
Definition: A secure part of the Internet, used by organizations for internal communications between their different units around the country or the world.
A different Term of the Day is posted on the ISM Home Page (www.ism.ws) each day — seven days a week. The Term of the Day is taken from the ISM Glossary of Key Supply Management Terms.
ISM members can access the online Members Only Glossary which includes terms from the private, public, and various industry sectors, and from a wide variety of sources. The Glossary can be browsed alphabetically, or searched by keyword.
To access the online Glossary click here.
If you are not a member but would like membership information click here.
Back to Top
|It's Easy to Subscribe to the Just in ETime Newsletter
The Just in ETime e-mail newsletter delivers ISM- and supply/procurement-related news and updates directly to subscribers' desktops every other week. You'll receive breaking news, such as the ISM Report On Business®, information on upcoming seminars and programs, changes to ISM's certification programs, as well as Web sites of interest to supply/procurement professionals.
It's easy to subscribe to the Just in ETime newsletter: all you need is your e-mail address. Best of all — there's no charge to become a subscriber!
To subscribe to Just in ETime, click here.
Back to Top