Supply Management Academic Community Home Page
Welcome to ISM's Academic webpage — your resource for information on ISM's academic programs and resources. Each section has links to additional information on each program.
- ISM Educational Resources Committee (ERC)
- ISM Academic Research Support Programs (Grants)
- R. Gene Richter Scholarship Program for Undergraduate Students
- Scholarships Offered by Affiliates, Groups, and Forums
- Institutions Offering Purchasing/Supply Management Courses
- ISM University SCM Approved Degree Programs
- Institute for Supply Management® — Michigan State University Awards for Excellence in Supply Management
- Journal of Supply Chain Management (JSCM)
- Additional ISM Information for the Academic/Student Community (sustainability and ethics, ISM membership, article reprints, and more)
ISM EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES COMMITTEE (ERC)
The Educational Resources Committee coordinates ISM's efforts in enhancing the stature of supply management in colleges and universities; encourages students to pursue a career in supply management; supports the educational and research mission of ISM, including the administration of ISM funded grants and fellowships; and facilitates a clear working relationship between practitioners and academics.
- December 2012 ERC Newsletter
- ERC and its scope of responsibility
- Current List of ERC members
- ERC Newsletter Archive
- Click Here to submit your comments and ideas to the Educational Resources.
ISM ACADEMIC RESEARCH SUPPORT PROGRAMS (GRANTS)
The Institute for Supply Management® (ISM) Educational Resource Committee (ERC) has established, with ISM Board consent, a comprehensive four-phased ISM Academic Research Support Program to provide a career-long, multi-generational academic program closely related to the supply management profession.
- ISM Grant Overview
- 2015 Dissertation Grant Application Process and Evaluation Criteria
- Grant Eligibility Requirements
- Sample Research Topics
- Where To Send Applications
- 2014 Grant Recipient
R. GENE RICHTER SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
The R. Gene Richter Scholarship Program was established and named in memory of R. Gene Richter, who was a galvanizing force in the field of procurement. The program was initially established by the R. Gene and Nancy D. Richter Foundation in 2004. In 2005, the R. Gene and Nancy D. Richter Foundation partnered with the Institute for Supply Management® (ISM) to expand the Foundation's scholarship program into the largest national scholarship program in the field of supply management. It was a goal of the Foundation and the Institute for Supply Management® to establish the ability to provide for the funding of scholarships on an ongoing basis. As a result, in 2008, with funding from the Institute for Supply Management and the R. Gene and Nancy D. Richter Foundation, the ISM R. Gene Richter Scholarship Program Fund was established. The fund at ISM has a goal to grow the principle to $2 million. The proceeds from this fund will provide a portion of the scholarships for future Richter Scholars.
- Click on R. Gene Richter Scholarship Program for more information.
SCHOLARSHIPS OFFERED BY ISM AFFILIATES, GROUPS, AND FORUMS
Many of the affiliates and industry-specific Groups and Forums at the Institute for Supply Management® offer student scholarships.
- Click on Scholarships offered by Affiliates, Groups and Forums for information.
INSTITUTIONS OFFERING PURCHASING/SUPPLY MANAGEMENT COURSES
The list of institutions offering purchasing/supply management courses is comprised of institutions offering supply management-related degree programs, certificate programs, CPSM® review courses, and distance learning opportunities. Courses may be in supply management, materials management, logistics, purchasing, operations management or related areas. Degrees may be a business degree with emphasis in one of these areas. Distance learning opportunities can include courses offered through the Internet, video, satellite or other means.
The PDF version of the SupplyINDemand brochure also includes a directory of sustainability education schools.
- Click on Institutions Offering Purchasing/Supply Management Courses for more information.
ISM UNIVERSITY SCM APPROVED DEGREE PROGRAM
At the request of a university, ISM will review their SCM degree (baccalaureate and/or master's) degree program and determine if it is eligible to become an "ISM Approved SCM Program."
- ISM Approved Programs
- Criteria and Process for Colleges and Universities to be included in this program.
- ISM Supply Chain Management University Program Application Form
- University Agreement
INSTITUTE FOR SUPPLY MANAGEMENT® — MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN SUPPLY MANAGEMENT
The Institute for Supply Management® — Michigan State University Awards for Excellence in Supply Management are open to supply management departments of all sizes and geographic locations, both domestic and international. Click here for information on the Awards.
JOURNAL OF SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
The mission of the Journal of Supply Chain Management (JSCM) is to be THE journal of choice among supply chain management scholars across disciplines, by attracting high-quality, high-impact behavioral research focusing on theory-building and empirical methodologies. To be suitable for publication in JSCM, papers must:
- Extend or test existing theoretical bases in supply chain management or contribute to theory building in supply chain management;
- Use rigorous methodologies and analyses which address the multiple dimensions of validity; and
- Clarify and enhance understanding of the role of various aspects of supply chain management in the global competitiveness of organizations.
ADDITIONAL ISM INFORMATION FOR THE ACADEMIC/STUDENT COMMUNITY
ISM invites students and academicians to use information provided by ISM at the links below:
- ISM publications
- Copyright Information for Reprinting ISM Materials
- ISM Past Conference Materials
- Journal of Supply Chain Management
- Supply IN Demand (PDF booklet outlining supply management career opportunities; includes a directory of supply management schools)
- ISM Membership information for Students
- ISM Membership information for Educators
- ISM Principles of Sustainability and Social Responsibility With A Guide To Adoption and Implementation (PDF booklet for downloading)
- ISM Principles and Standards of Ethical Supply Management Conduct With Guidelines (PDF booklet for downloading.) Updated January 2012
- 2013 ISM Salary Survey Brief Summary