Purchasing and Supply Management
Fundamentals of Purchasing: The Building Blocks of World-Class Professionalism
This program begins with the key concepts underlying a world-class purchasing and supply organization and moves through leading-edge issues, including e-commerce. Through a variety of interactive methods, participants will discover innovative techniques and effective tools to become a valuable asset to their organizations. Leave this seminar with confidence in your newly acquired skills to effectively perform your job.
Be Sure to Bring Your Calculator
Who Should Attend
For new purchasing and supply management professionals; experienced professionals wishing to refresh and update their skills; and personnel who interface with purchasers or suppliers.
You Will Learn
- Developments in Purchasing and Supply Management — Key terms and definitions; Purchasing's contribution to corporate strategy and value creation; The essential role of purchasing and supply; How to identify objectives for effectiveness
- Perspectives on Evaluating and Redesigning the Supply Management Process — Streamlining tasks to focus on value-add activities; Using technology tools to enhance purchasing's contribution; Tools for increasing acquisition process efficiency and value; Managing small-dollar buys
- Strategic Sourcing and Sourcing Analysis Methods — Sourcing strategies for different categories of purchases; Sourcing analysis methods
- Supplier Management Skills — When, where and how to use RFIs, RFQs, RFPs and competitive bidding; Approaches to supplier identification, evaluation, selection and performance measurement; Managing supplier relations; Implications for quality and cost management
- Key Elements of Negotiation — The what, when and why of negotiations; Negotiation philosophies and styles; Preparing for and conducting negotiations; Strategy development and tactics
- Essential Cost Management Techniques — Steps in price and cost analysis; Identifying and estimating cost elements; Basic cost analysis applications; Market and pricing issues; Process mapping to locate cost drivers
- Ethical and Legal Aspects of Supply Management — Ethics and ethical behavior defined; Contract law and the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC); Patents and trademarks; Law of agency; Basic types of contracts; Elements of contract formation