Forums  

Go Back   Forums > ISM Discussion Area > General Supply Management Discussions

Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 PM

Question Method to Determine Number of Buyers

I am searching for a workable tool that will provide the number of buyers required based upon workload criteria.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:57 AM

I have the same question.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:45 PM

What kind of industry are you in, manufacturing, EPC, etc?
Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 PM
oleggcyj

Default Method to Determine Number of Buyers

If there really that kind of workable tools? I work in wire and cable industry and would like to know more about that.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 PM
KS_Purchasing_Manager

Default Multiple avenues...

Just a few concepts i've seen thrown around:
A concept; take your # of SKU's multiply by total inventory size. divide that number by four. Example: 3 million dollar inventory, 4 thousand skus (3x4=12) divided by 4 (12/4=3). So you'd need 3 SKUs.
Another concept: Do you buy Capital, Indirect, and Direct materials? A buyer for each category as to allow specialization.
Another concept; Total number of Purchase orders (take for example, 4000) divided by 1,000 PO's per person (averages 4ish purchase orders a day). So, for 4,000 POs, you'd have 4 buyers.

Really, your biggest challenge won't be finding the criteria; you're biggest criteria will be justifying a *supposed* non value-added position to an organization that is probably hell-bent at reducing labor costs.

Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 PM
mlejeune

I think it also depends on the level of experience of your Buyers. Some can handle more of a workload than others. So, sometimes it makes sense to divide it by category as suggested above, with the higher volume categories going to the more experienced Buyers. I've also done assignments based on item criticality, and would assign those categories which had no room for error to my senior buyers.

I dont get on this site much due to travel, but if you'd like to chat more, my email is:

lejeunem@sms-inc.net