Forums  

Go Back   Forums > ISM Discussion Area > General Supply Management Discussions

Old 08-22-2013, 02:00 PM
dmoore77

Question Advice/feedback for entering SCM appreciated...

Any input/recommendations would be much appreciated. I have done 20 years in the military where Logistics was not my primary role, but due to the nature of the military I do have some experience with a variety of logistics and logistics related activities from cargo and equipment prep, processing, documentation, some financial and contract management, etc. Since my military retirement, I have managed at a big box retailer and currently own and run a small business that I am going to transition out of and prepare for a career change and enter the field of Supply Chain Management.

I have a bachelorís in Management, an MBA, and currently working on a Masters in SCM. Outside of my military experience, I do not have much experience in SCM within the private sector.

I would appreciate any advice on where might be a good starting point to enter SCM for someone like myself who has some military related experience and some higher level education, but lacks any real private sector experience. From just looking around, it seems that most positions require 5-years specific experience, etc. Are there specific job types, or positions where I would be better off legitimately competing for a job and possibly be seriously looked at as a candidate without much experience? I am just trying to figure out what might be the best way to get my foot in the door, gain some experience, and get started in a career in SCM.

Also, might it be worth-while job hunting prior to completing my SCM degree (even if it is part time), or would I better off waiting for completion of the SCM degree?

Again, any advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks
Dan
Old 09-04-2013, 05:10 PM
TomDonley

Default Advice/feedback for entering SCM appreciated...

Dan,

First of all, thank you for your service. My family and I very much appreciate it.

Sounds like you have quite a bit going for you on numerous fronts. Companies that would welcome your skill sets, professional experience, life experience and education would be many of the EPC (Engineering, Procurement & Construction) firms and firms that deal with the DoD.

Look to companies such as KBR, Bechtel, Fluor, Halliburton and the like for good job assignments domestically and overseas. Have your CV in top order but not too long or too verbose. Check the internet for other firms that handle Defense Contracting.

You should have move opportunities than you know what to do with...

Good Luck. You are welcome to contact me if I can be of any further assistance. I'm located in Houston, Texas. http://www.linkedin.com/in/tomdonley

Tom Donley CPSM, MCIPS
TomDonley@gmail.com
Old 09-13-2013, 02:36 AM
dmoore77

Default Reply to Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it. I have taken your advice and started looking at a few of those companies and will be digging in deeper here soon. Been working on the CV, re-branding my social sites, etc. I see that you are on linkedIn, if it is alright, I would like to connect with you there.

Thanks again,

Dan
Old 09-14-2013, 04:32 PM
TomDonley

Hi Dan,

I just received your invitation to join your network on LinkedIn. It is my honor to accept. Thank you for asking me. If I may be of service to you in any way, please feel free to contact me. I am at your service.

Most Sincerely,
Tom Donley MCIPS, CPSM