Forums  

Go Back   Forums > ISM Discussion Area > Commodities Discussions

Old 06-25-2009, 02:10 PM
ahain

Question Copy paper pricing

I submitted quotes to several well known national office supplies companies and a couple local office supplies companies for our copy paper usage in our approximately 28 locations. To my surprise two of the national companies declined to bid stating that they could only lock down pricing for 60 days. I was asking for contract pricing for a year. Can anyone let me know what experiences they are having in this area?
Old 06-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Madbuyer

Default Paper Pricing

About a 1.5-2 years ago, mills were in trouble due to the high price of Natural gas. This is a trend they have kept up to keep pricing high.

What kind of paper (Specifically---20# % of white etc..) I switched our companies paper to a 95% bright 20# paper because it was cheaper (They didn't sell this very often) No one really notice the change either....

I quoted the usual suspects, but found the smaller "mom-n-pops" stores to be more willing to negotiate.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
jbadillo

Default Purchasing Manager

The increase is also being blamed on the harsh winter which created a shortage of lumber and that is being compounded by an increase in demand as the economy slowly recovers.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:08 PM

In my experiences of paper buying, pricing has always fluctated with market conditions. Our contracts or agreements call for firm pricing for a period of time, HOWEVER if there is documented MILL increase we will allow our distributor to pass that along to us. They must produce the mill letter, effective date, and percentage. I also watch the Yellow Sheet for changing market conditions ... suppliers are quick to pass on increases but sometimes we need to challenge decreasing trends.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:10 PM

In my experiences of paper buying, pricing has always fluctated with market conditions. Our contracts or agreements call for firm pricing for a period of time, HOWEVER if there is documented MILL increase we will allow our distributor to pass that along to us with a 30-day notification.

They must produce the mill letter, effective date, and percentage. I also watch the Yellow Sheet for changing market conditions ... suppliers are quick to pass on increases but sometimes we need to challenge decreasing trends.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:09 PM
pledger1

I agree with the above post - another caveat you can build in to your contract is a price escalation clause. This will allow for price increases due to mills - but also ensures that suppliers can't go above a certain level within a specified time period. If you are curently contracted with an office supply company I found them to have the best pricing on Copy paper - they simply use it as a loss leader and make very little money on it.