Forums  

Go Back   Forums > ISM Discussion Area > General Supply Management Discussions

Old 05-11-2010, 03:24 PM

Default Signatures on PO's

We currently sign our Purchase Orders, and are moving to electronic PO's where we can generate .pdf's without printing. I'm checking with local companies to benchmark current practices with regard to PO's and signatures, but thought I would post this to reach a wider audience for feedback. Please reply on your practices on whether or not you sign your PO's and if signatures are deemed necessary.

I appreciate all responses received!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:01 PM

Federal law: Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (ESIGN)

The Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act (ESIGN) expressly authorizes the use of electronic signatures, notarizations, acknowledgments and verifications, and electronic records. Under the act, no contract, signature or record can be denied legal effect solely because it's in electronic form.

Many companies in the Fortune 1000 require as part of doing business with them that their suppliers accept EDI or electronically mailed PO's which do not require an physical signature. The most expedient way to accomplish this is to create a supplier approval form of T's and C's which includes that electronic signatures will be accepted between the two parties.

We include the following verbiage where signatures are noramlly found:
“This document was generated electronically therefore no physical signature is required”