Forums  

Go Back   Forums > ISM Discussion Area > Commodities Discussions

Old 06-10-2009, 01:26 PM

Question Inventory Management & Control

Hello, I am currently working in the medical field where there are 8 building locations housed with doctors. One of my tasks as Purch MGR is to implement an inventory control system for vaccines and operational supplies. Given 8 locations, has anyone used an Inventory management system that would be good to look into for ordering and management purposes?
Thank you
Rob
Old 06-18-2009, 03:41 PM

If you do not want to implement a full ERP type system. You can effectively manage inventory with a KanBan card system. The fundanmentals of this include establishing inventory levels, reorder points, and spreadsheet inventory tracking. You will need to isolate your inventory below the re-order point. I find physically bundling your re-order point inventory around your "KanBan card" as the most effective means of ensuring the system does not break down. On your inventory bin you can have a card that will track each transaction (adds or deletions) to keep tracability on inventory. This takes discipline by your staff, but it works really well.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Madbuyer

Kan-Ban would be good if you have people at 8 locations.

RFID vending cabinets are a good choice or go to http://www.plex.com/ This ERP system is good and not overly expensive.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Madbuyer

Default Or this....

http://www.cardinal.com/us/en/provid...stem/index.asp
Old 09-17-2009, 01:03 PM
mtwerder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000047768 View Post
Hello, I am currently working in the medical field where there are 8 building locations housed with doctors. One of my tasks as Purch MGR is to implement an inventory control system for vaccines and operational supplies. Given 8 locations, has anyone used an Inventory management system that would be good to look into for ordering and management purposes?
Thank you
Rob
If you funding is low or none for that matter a kanban system would be extremely beneficial and effective. However there is an amount of ground work that needs to be done such as creation of an item master and locations of products throughout the buildings.

If you have a little bit of money there are some very cheap solutions out there such as: Almyta Inventory Control System (www.almyta.com) or Advanceware Technologies
Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 AM
norman123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwerder View Post
If you funding is low or none for that matter a kanban system would be extremely beneficial and effective. However there is an amount of ground work that needs to be done such as creation of an item master and locations of products throughout the buildings.

If you have a little bit of money there are some very cheap solutions out there such as: Almyta Inventory Control System (www.almyta.com) or Advanceware Technologies
I agree with this, Almyta Inventory Control System can cost you less.You can also search for surveys which system is really effective.

conversational hypnosis
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 AM
dolphmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000047768 View Post
Thank you
Rob
Hi Rob, Our company has been using Inventory management system by McLane Logistics Technology. The system is really efficient and affordable. You should also go for it. Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 PM
mlejeune

Hi Rob!
I am a Director of Supply Chain Consulting, and one of the services my company offers is electronic inventory solutions. I'd be interested in understanding more about the volume of inventory you have. Email me if you'd like to chat more specifically. lejeunem@sms-inc.net