Health and Safety
Health and safety refer to the condition of being protected or free from the occurrence of risk of injury, danger, failure, error, accident, harm or loss.
In this context:
- Provide a safe and healthy environment for all employees in the organization.
- Support the continuous development and diffusion of safety and health practices throughout the organization and the supply chain.
- Design and redesign products to ensure product safety.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has been dedicated to protecting health and promoting quality of life through the prevention and control of disease, injury, and disability for more than 60 years. Its mission is to collaborate to create the expertise, information, and tools that people and communities need to protect their health – through health promotion, prevention of disease, injury and disability, and preparedness for new health threats. The Web site has an area dedicated to Workplace Safety and Health.
- CROETweb.com is the Web site for the Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology, maintained by a group of scientists, educators, and information specialists at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, Oregon. The site offers links to hundreds of resources relating to safety and health in the workplace, including resources for various occupations and industries, chemical hazards, biological hazards, ergonomic issues, and other resources.
- FLU.gov is a Web site managed by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. The site provides government-wide information on influenza for the general public, health and emergency preparedness professionals, policy makers, government and business leaders, school systems, and local communities. This one-stop site for U.S. Government avian and pandemic flu information includes links to PDF checklists and other documents that may be freely copied and distributed.
- Inform, Inc. is an independent, nonprofit organization that conducts research aimed at practical solutions to complex environmental and health-related problems throughout this country and the world.
- International Ergonomics Association (IEA) is the global federation of ergonomics and human factors societies, with a mission to elaborate and advance ergonomics science and practice, and to improve the quality of life by expanding its scope of application and contribution to society.
- International Occupational Safety and Health Information Centre (CIS) is the knowledge management arm of the InFocus Programme on Safety and Health at Work and the Environment (SafeWork). The organization monitors world literature on occupational safety and health, and disseminates summaries and citations of the most useful publications, as well as products based on the collected information, electronically and in print. CIS was founded in 1959 as a joint endeavor of the ILO, the International Social Security Association, the European Coal and Steel Community and the occupational safety and health authorities of 11 European countries. The original 11-member network of National Centres has grown to cover 120 countries all over the world.
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) provides national and world leadership to prevent work-related illnesses and injuries.
- National Safety Council (NSC) is a nonprofit, nongovernmental, international public service organization dedicated to protecting life and promoting health. Founded in 1913 and chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1953, the NSC has more than 46,000 members, including businesses, labor organizations, schools, public agencies, private groups and individuals. This Web site includes links to safety events, news, products, resources and services.
- Occupational Health & Safety Online is the Web site for Occupational Health and Safety magazine, a magazine for safety, ergonomics and occupational health professionals.
- Osh.Net is an internet gateway for occupational health and safety resources and information. The site includes a directory of links for resources on industrial hygiene, emergency management, government agencies and regulations, legal information, and industry-specific information.
- OSHA — Department of Labor links to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration Web site that details the laws and regulations for safety in the workplace. The site includes a Safety and Health Management Systems eTool that provides guidance for developing a comprehensive safety and health program.
- SafetyPages.com is a Web portal with numerous links to safety resources including safety tips, incident reports, articles, and training resources, as well as links to specific safety concerns such as chemical hazards and fire safety.
- Safety Online is an online marketplace for providers of safety equipment.
- U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Review Commission (OSHRC) is a federal agency created to decide contents of citations or penalties resulting from OSHA inspections of workplaces in the United States. This Web site contains links to procedural rules, a strategic plan, publications, and other information related to occupational safety and health.
- Worksafe is the Web site for the California Coalition for Worker Occupational Safety & Health Protection, a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting occupational safety and health and eliminating workplace created and related toxic hazards. The coalition focuses on hazards that impact at-risk communities in California, providing education, training, advocacy, and technical and legal assistance.
- World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends. WHO's Occupational Health page addresses a large number of issues that affect workers' health, including risks for disease and injury in the work environment.
Rate and Review this item